Interesting project here which just came to my attention…custom Rolex fans will definitely want to check this out. The SPECIAL FORCES ISSUE (SFI) concept “was conceived following discussions with former members of the UK Special Forces who were looking to produce a special tool watch as a vestige of their service.” The SFI military Submariners are created using original modern timepieces, re-styled to pay a respectful homage to the historical military watches of the past such as the Rolex 5517 issued to British SAS & SBS divers during the 1970s, then further enhanced to meet the exact needs of the modern day UK Special Forces (UKSF). SFI military Submariners have been exclusively designed, tested & are worn by members of the UKSF.
The ‘Desert Issue’ military Submariner or DI01 is available to order via the official SFI website (www.SpecialForcesIssue.com) with production being highly limited. The DI01 is priced at £13500 GBP & limited to 55 numbered examples.
Model designation SFI DI01 utilizes a modern Rolex Submariner non date ref. 114060 as a base model (40mm case diameter), which has then been modified with the following options:
- Military fixed bars (Fixed bars are worn in conjunction with a NATO strap & prevent the watch becoming detached from the owner in the case of snagging during operations)
- Bead blast case finish
- Tactical “Desert Sand” case coating
- The ‘SUBMARINER’ model designation on the dial is overprinted in the “Desert Sand” color
- Custom military sword hands (w/blue luminous)
- A custom rubber 60 minute military bezel insert (w/blue luminous markings)
- Unique individually numbered case back engravings
- Issued on an extra durable NATO strap (Desert Camo)
- Delivered in a waterproof pelican case with 3 extra straps
Military fixed bars
As with projects of this nature, this is not official Rolex sanctioned. Check ’em out at: https://www.specialforcesissue.com/watches.